Mothers Day from a Zero Waste Perspective
Around this time of year, you’ll probably be getting numerous marketing messages that if you buy your Mum (or Mum-like equivalent person) the right kind of gift she will know just how much you love her.
If you get her the gift pack, the nicest flowers, the corny trinket or biggest box of chocolates then surely she will know that you love her heaps! And likewise, if you don’t then you mustn’t love her at all.
As a Mum, I have to say, this is absolutely correct so buy up big at Wasteless Pantry!!!!
Nah, just kidding 🙂
Your Mum, most likely, does not care what you get her or if you get her anything at all.
Most Mum’s just want to know that you care and you think about her. She would love to spend the day with you enjoying each others company like when you were a kid and she was your whole world.
Remember that drawing you did for her when you were 5 that she made a fuss over or that disaster of a cake you baked that she smiled all the way through eating, or that time you offered her burnt toast, lukewarm coffee and an underboiled egg in bed. She loved it all because it was from the heart and it was from you.
You could spend your money on your Mum with things that don’t create waste like:
- Handcrafted tea blends (I love ginger & lemongrass with coconut sugar at the moment)
- A cake you baked yourself (we have a brownie mix that you just mix with water if your baking skills haven’t improved much since you were a child)
- Coffee beans and a plunger or a nice mug (mug sets always get chipped so you could pick up a one of a kind from the op shop)
- Anything chocolate (you could try your hand at custom-made chocolate bars if you are keen)
- Reusable face wipes, shampoo bars, moisturiser in a nice jar you saved and refilled or nice smelling soaps
Forgo the gift packaging and rent-a-basket from Wasteless Pantry. We have a few different sizes that you could pop any goodies you create or collect into; then when you or Mum return the basket there is a refund of the cost minus $1.
But really, just focus on giving her your time.
To that end, if you bring your Mum into Wasteless Pantry between 1 and 13th May inclusive we’ll give you both 5% of anything you purchase whilst you are both there. That way we can say that we helped encourage you to connect with your Mum for just a few more minutes this year.
We love being Mums and we love our Mums xx