We talk often about refusing, reducing, reusing, recycling and rotting at Wasteless Pantry.
The easiest place to start your zero waste living journey is in the bathroom!
You really don’t need all those potions and harmful microbeads, just a few simple goodies will get you through and simplify your daily routine once and for all.
Given there is so much talk about the risks of chemicals in cosmetics, eco hair products, eco skin care and environmentally friendly soap options might be just the remedy you were looking for.
So what is in a zero waste bathroom?
- Environmentally friendly, biodegradable shampoo and conditioner bought in your own reusable container
- Eco soap free of palm oils such as the ones made by Corrynnes Natural Soaps
- Bamboo hairbrush & toothbrush
- Forest friendly toilet paper and tissues (if you don’t own a hanky)
- Epsom salts bought in your own reusable container (because some times a relaxing bath is just what you need!)
- Soap free eco bubble bath (because life is too short to argue over bath time with little ones) bought in your own reusable container
What about deodorant, toothpaste, moisturiser, body scrubs and the like?
Each to their own on this one. For me I’m happy with my DIY options…
Mix together equal quantities of bicarb and coconut oil with essential oils of your preference (mine are lavender and chamomile)
Bicarb on its own [but I know others who swear by bicarb, coconut oil and peppermint oil]
* There is plenty of discussion out there about the pros and cons of fluoride and I am not an expert on this one at all so please seek info about this elsewhere on the internet 🙂
Coconut oil on its own [simple and effective!]
Mix together 1 part bicarb & 2 parts coconut or olive oil
Lightly scrub body or face and then wash off with water
DIY Body Scrubs
Salt, sugar, quick oats and coffee grounds make great exfoliants and can be combined with oils and/or honey to make a wide variety of body scrubs that smell delicious! Add in flavourings of your choice like cinnamon, vanilla extract, mint leaves, citrus oils or lavender flowers and you have something good enough to become a gift too!! Play around and find your own favourite recipes, however as a rule of thumb you will need equal quantities of liquid to your dry goods.
If you are in the neighbourhood, then pop into the store and bring along your containers for refilling!
For a short time we are offering 20% off aluminium bottles with your first refill of our personal hygiene and home cleaning products.
And if you are not in the neighbourhood then make sure you leave a comment below letting us know what your bathroom must haves are!