Ready to go zero waste Australia?!
Wasteless Pantry was originally set up in the beautiful Perth Hills in Mundaring, just 15 minutes from Midland; later another store was opened more centrally, in Bassendean. The store retails bulk groceries and whole foods, dry and liquid. This includes coffee beans, loose tea, nuts, baking goods, gluten free, dairy free, vegan, organic foods, personal hygiene and cleaning products. Also offered are a range of eco friendly reusable containers, produce bags and other products that support the zero waste ideal.
We are about promoting the zero waste ideals of Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Rot (and only in that order).
Following on from this, it is mainly achieved by adapting the way you shop to:
- eliminate disposable packaging,
- source food locally and sustainably,
- be more community minded, and
- only buying what you need.
Ideas to get you started on your Wasteless journey:
Many of the ideas that follow are old hand for a generation or two ago, before we jumped on the path to disposable living. Furthermore, had we of realised the devastation then maybe we could have chosen sustainably convenient over wasteful in the lifestyle choices we made. Leading a Zero Waste Lifestyle is about living simply, choosing waste free options and getting back to basics like:
- Start with your bin and make changes slowly so that they become easy habits
- Produce bags and shopping bags instead of disposable plastic bags to go waste free
- Bring your own containers to refill for meat, deli and bulk foods – we have a video of how to do this
- As you swap to reusables make sure you utilise our Specialist Recycling
- Use leaf tea and bulk bought ground coffee in a plunger
- Stock up on your reusable containers
- Switch to a reusable water bottle, coffee cup and straw if you usually use disposables
- Switch to refillable cleaning products and tools made with natural fibres to prevent micro plastics entering our waterways
- Rethink your beauty routine. Do you need 15 products for skincare or could your skin feel nourished with just a few refillable low tox options?
- Attend local community events to develop your sustainability skills
- Get clear on your sustainable food priorities